Thursday, May 06, 2021

But it isn't love

Tell people you love them 
Before it's too late, 
But a bucket full of water 
Will not douse a house burning down.
Fleeting time is not a friend, nor a savior. 
No amount of pulling the clock's hands apart,
Will ever stop it from running out. 
Galaxies are forever collapsing,
The death of stars, inevitable.
How could I have ever thought we stood a chance.
Our goodbye was fated in our first hello.
Yet, I have learnt to love you in transitions. 
The laughter in your eyes as you rode by my side, 
The cold wind on our cheeks 
under the fiery New Year's sky. 
The subtle soft sighs.
You were a feeling I did not know could exist
and neither was I ever prepared for
I was always torn between wanting you to stay,
And somehow hoping you would leave.
Now, you are neither here, nor have you gone away.
I don't know what it is that you do to me, 
All my wounds come up to breathe,
But more than that,
You soften my rough edges. 
Pull back the curtain of darkness 
So that I can soak up the light. 
Put my fears to sleep.
Let me rest my worries. 
Every world that I had ever built 
Came stumbling down 
Under the intensity of your gaze. 
I was always seconds away from you owning me.
With all the space between us,
You still touched me.
You still changed me.
But you have never said that you loved me. 
Neither do I know for it to be true.
But I know this to be true. 
In a world where people's hearts get broken, 
Your existence somehow had a way to mend mine.

No comments:

Call me love

I'm throwing up my hands.  I don't want this war Don't let me leave Stop.  I'm throwing up my hands.  Waving the White Flag ...